Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Wasteful Spending in Education

I just read a post on facebook about a $578M public school opening next month in Los Angeles: LA Unveils $578M school - Yahoo News

I have so many issues with a major expense like this that I can't even begin to list them all. What really got to me was the comment from someone stating that any money spent on education is well spent. Well, my friends, I'm an educator and I don't agree with that statement at all! This person also questioned why aren't more people upset about the money that's being spent on our military. "That money is being spent to kill people." While I'm sure there is probably wasteful spending in our Department of Defense (I'm not sure there is a government operation that doesn't waste money), the spending by our government on our defense is protecting our country and our liberties. If those were not protected, we would not have the freedom to spend $578M on a public school to educate our children. I also don't wish anyone harm but, unfortunately, we didn't ask for this war on terror. It wasn't started by the United States!

Next, I don't believe that $578M is required for a good education. Abraham Lincoln, who is my favorite president and quite possibly the best one this country's ever seen, taught himself, while helping his family with their farm. They weren't wealthy, in fact they were very poor. But somehow, despite the fact that he didn't have a $578M school to attend, he became one of the most famous presidents of the United States of America and helped this country through one of it's most difficult times in our history.

I have learned over the years that my children are the most enthralled with the simplest things. As babies and toddlers, they loved to bang on pots and pans with wooden spoons. This was their drum set. They didn't need for me to spend a bunch of money on an expensive drum set. One of their favorite activities is to spend the day at the beach. Guess what? It doesn't cost anything to go to the beach. They love to go to the park and take nature walks. They like the playground equipment but they are more interested in nature. So, take your kids out on a nature walk, spend a day at the beach, get involved in their schools, go out and vote so that we can stop our politicians from this policy of spending money that we don't have to spend.

No comments:

Post a Comment